- Item No.
- generic_text_1: The Only Book That Tells You Why and How
- Publisher: MC Press
- ISBN Number: 1583473777
- ISBN-13/EAN: 9781583473771
Big Data Governance
- Author: Sunil Soares
- Binding: Paperback
- generic_text_3: 368
- Publication date: 2012
This item is on sale
- Our price:
- You save
- $19.00 (32%)
- Save An Extra 15% Off Our Lowest Hard Copy Price, visit the MC Press eBookstore.
Big data includes content from sources such as social media, telephone GPS signals, utility smart meters, RFID tags, weather monitors, and other sources. Such data tends to be operational in nature and is characterized by the "three V's": large volume, high velocity, and a variety of formats, including structured, unstructured, and semi-structured.
A growing number of books address the topic of big data, but none deals with the challenge of governing big data. Yet big data governance is a crucial enabler to derive maximum value from a big data program. Big Data Governance addresses this knowledge gap, examining the industry imperatives that are driving the convergence of these two major trends in Information Management and explaining not only the why but the how of governing big data.
In a non-technical style geared toward business audiences, Sunil Soares explains the importance of establishing appropriate governance over big data initiatives and discusses how to manage and govern big data--highlighting the relevant processes, procedures, and policies. Information-packed sections give an overview of the big data governance framework, maturity assessments, business cases, and roadmaps; discuss the applicability of information governance disciplines to big data; present best practices for governing the various big data types; provide best practices and case studies for big data governance within healthcare, utilities, and communications service providers; and discuss a reference architecture for big data and offerings from IBM, Oracle, SAP, Microsoft, Informatica, SAS, and others.
Businesses have learned the importance of governing other types of data, such as master data and reference data. Now, they are waking up to the importance of governing big data. This book gives you the tools you need to be successful in meeting this emerging imperative.
Upon completion of Big Data Governance, you will be able to:
- Understand how big data can fit within an information governance program
- Identify key stakeholders for big data
- Quantify the business value of big data
- Apply information governance concepts such as stewardship-data quality-metadata-and organization structures to big data
- Appreciate the business benefits of big data by industry and job function
- Understand the emerging regulations relating to privacy and data retention
- Establish a step-by-step process to implement big data governance
- generic_text_2: Sunil Soares is the founder and managing partner of Information Asset, LLC, a consulting firm that specializes in helping organizations build out their information governance programs. Prior to this role, Sunil was the Director of Information Governance at IBM, where he worked with clients across six continents and multiple industries.