- Item No.
- generic_text_1: IBM Experts Teach You to Use Rational and JavaBeans
- Publisher: IBM Press
- ISBN Number: 1931182272
- ISBN-13/EAN: 9781931182270
Building Applications with IBM Rational Application Developer and JavaBeans
- Colette Burrus
- Stephanie Parkin
- Binding: Paperback
- generic_text_3: 624
- Publication date: 2008
This item is on sale
- Our price:
- You save
- $45.00 (75%)
This book showcases the visual programming features of Rational Application Developer, demonstrating how easy it is to quickly create applications with JavaBeans. Intended for novice to intermediate programmers with limited familiarity with the Java programming language, the book uses Rational Application Developer as an educational tool for teaching visual programming to create Java applications, applets, and servlets. Whether you are new to Java or an old pro, you will see how Rational Application Developer makes development of Java applications easier and faster.
Consisting of two parts, the book first covers how to build JavaServer Faces Web applications (servlets) using the Page Designer tool. Part 2 covers building Java applications and applets using the Visual Editor for Java, which lets programmers visually design their graphical user interfaces (GUIs). Both parts focus on building applications with reusable components (JavaBeans) to get them up and running quickly. Throughout, the authors compare and contrast the two visual programming environments to explain the differences between Java applications, applets, and servlets.
The authors explain Java programming concepts hand-in-hand with Rational Application Developer. You will find detailed, step-by-step instructions with lots of screen captures to make it easy to follow along. Each chapter develops at least one complete, standalone application, applet, or servlet, with sample code and solution files provided on the included CD-ROM. And, while most books teach how to use either a development tool or a particular programming language, this book combines learning the language with using the tool. Exercises at the end of each chapter reinforce the concepts.
With this book, you will:
- Discover how easy it is to visually build applications that run as JavaServer Faces Web applications-Java applets-or Java applications
- Quickly become comfortable using Rational Application Developer features such as visual editors-the debugger-and test facilities
- Learn to build advanced application features-such as adding Ajax behavior to JavaServer Faces Web applications to make Web pages more interactive and usable-working with relational databases-and using XML data in Java applications
Colette Burrus worked at IBM for more than 20 years in a variety of programming and project management jobs. She is currently a self-employed freelance writer and is co-author of several books about IBM application development tools.
Stephanie Parkin is a Senior Software Developer working on the IBM developerWorks site. She currently focuses on information architecture as well as content editing and acquisitions for the WebSphere development tools zone.
- generic_text_2: Colette Burrus worked at IBM for more than 20 years in a variety of programming and project management jobs. She is currently a self-employed freelance writer and is co-author of several books about IBM application development tools.