- Item No.
- generic_text_1: When Getting By Isn't Good Enough
- Publisher: MC Press
- ISBN Number: 1583470905
- ISBN-13/EAN: 9781583470909
- Author: Ted Holt
- Binding: Paperback
- generic_text_3: 520
- Publication date: 2009
This item is on sale
- Our price:
- You save
- $56.00 (70%)
The effective use of Control Language (CL) is a critical skill for anyone working with IBM i on the IBM Power Systems (formerly i5, iSeries, and System i). But why settle for just enough CL knowledge to get by? From the simplest task to the most complex process, CL is at the heart of your server. Become a CL guru and fully leverage the abilities of your system. All it takes is a little time, effort, and Complete CL, 5th Edition.
Author and expert Ted Holt returns to bring you the latest version of this bestselling classic, pulling together all the CL basics plus the latest innovations in one thorough, well-organized, and easy-to-read package. In a clear, straightforward manner, Ted shows you how to write both simple and advanced CL programs, understand the strengths and limitations of CL, avoid common mistakes, and much more. With this resource, you will master CL and extend the capabilities of your system. Programmers, operators, security officers, system administrators, or any IT professional working with IBM i will greatly benefit by reading this book.
Complete CL, 5th Edition is fully updated to include the numerous enhancements to the IBM i operating system, including a beefed-up compiler with new control structures, new data types, a new way to create documentation, a relaxation of old limits, and more.
This new edition includes: a complete explanation of subroutines, with examples; information on the INCLUDE command; explanations of the new variable types, including pointer and based variables; coverage of the *NULL constant and overlaying variables; examples of using overlaying variables instead of the substring function; an explanation of the new parameters for the DCL command; and information on the CLOSE command.
Plus, you'll develop the skills needed to:
- Manipulate strings with built-in functions and operators
- Code looping and decision structures
- Use data queues and data areas
- Process display and database files
- Avoid the pitfalls of adopted authorities
- Code both batch and interactive programs in CL
- Compile CL programs and modules and then bind modules into programs
- generic_text_2: Ted Holt has been working in the information technology industry since 1981, primarily with IBM midrange computers. His industry experience includes the fields of manufacturing, healthcare, education, retail, and wholesale. He holds a master's degree in computer science and has taught in community colleges, universities, and vocational/technical schools.