- Item No.
- generic_text_1: The Ultimate i5/iSeries Reference
- Publisher: MC Press
- ISBN Number: 1583470395
- ISBN-13/EAN: 9781583470398
IBM i5/iSeries Primer
- Ted Holt
- Kevin Forsythe
- Doug Pence
- Ron Hawkins
- Binding: Paperback
- generic_text_3: 648
- Publication date: 2006
This item is on sale
- Our price:
- You save
- $40.00 (40%)
- Save An Extra 15% Off Our Lowest Hard Copy Price, visit the MC Press eBookstore.
This comprehensive, 35-chapter book is the ultimate resource and a "must-have" for every professional working with the i5/iSeries. It is perfect for novice and intermediate programmers as well as for system administrators and operators. In simple, straightforward style, the authors explain core i5/iSeries concepts and show you step by step how to perform a wide variety of essential functions.
The book includes sections on installation, operations, administration, system architecture, programming, the Internet, and troubleshooting. These sections are organized in free-standing style so you don't have to read the book from cover to cover or even sequentially; you can reference the chapters that interest you most, skip some, and jump back and forth as needed. It even contains a helpful glossary to act as a fast reference for all the terms you need to know.
Completely updated through i5/OS V5, the fourth edition of this bestselling book contains page after page of information covering RPG IV and Java programming, system values, database and SQL, important system security information, the i5/iSeries as an Internet server, and much more. You will learn the essential technical concepts you need to get up to speed on all areas of the i5/iSeries, and your increased understanding of the system will boost your productivity.
Even if you have a previous edition of this book, you will want to get this edition with the V5 update plus brand-new topics like iSeries Navigator, Java, SQL, iSeries Access, HTTP Server, Qshell, client/server and TCP/IP, and Client Access. This book is a learning tool and valuable reference you will use for years to come.
With IBM i5/iSeries Primer, Fourth Edition, you will:
- Learn how to install an i5 server
- Gain a comprehensive knowledge of i5/iSeries operations
- Understand objects-library lists-and everything you need to know about files
- Be able to configure a system
- Explore i5/iSeries programming basics-including how to use utilities-journaling-and commitment control
- Discover what to do in case of trouble-how to request help from IBM-how to report problems-and how to manage PTFs
Ted Holt has been working in the information technology industry since 1981, primarily with IBM midrange computers. His industry experience includes the fields of manufacturing, healthcare, education, retail, and wholesale. He holds a master's degree in computer science and has taught in community colleges, universities, and vocational/technical schools.
Kevin Forsythe has over 19 years of experience on the iSeries and other platforms as programmer, analyst, consultant, and instructor. He blends a wide range of experiences with a passion for teaching and is the author of numerous articles. He is a frequent and award-winning speaker at COMMON conferences and other user conferences.
Doug Pence and Ron Hawkins have worked on IBM midrange systems for more than two decades. They began working as a team in 1979 and currently make up the research and development department of CPU Medical Management Systems. They are the authors of numerous books and are frequent speakers at technical conferences.
- generic_text_2: Ted Holt has been working in the information technology industry since 1981, primarily with IBM midrange computers. His industry experience includes the fields of manufacturing, healthcare, education, retail, and wholesale. He holds a master's degree in computer science and has taught in community colleges, universities, and vocational/technical schools.